Family Law

Getting an Emergency Order When Courts are Closed

It seems that nearly everything in life has come to a screeching halt amid concerns over COVID-19. Suddenly everything is closed, and services are limited. During this already stressful time, your family and relationship issues haven’t halted but instead have become more intense and urgent. The courts are closed, but you still need help. The good news is that a knowledgeable Aurora family law lawyer can still help you get the emergency order you need. Colorado Courts Closed with Some Exceptions As per an order signed by Colorado’s Supreme Court Chief Justice Colorado and another issued by the Chief United States District Judge, family courts are currently closed to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus. However, the courts are still responsible for protecting the fundamental constitutional rights of citizens and addressing matters of safety and well-being during the closure. As such, there are a select few family matters that the courts can still address during this time, including: Petitions for temporary civil protection orders and permanent protection order hearings Petitions for temporary emergency risk protection orders and hearings on emergency risk protection orders Petitions for the appointment of an emergency guardian and/or special conservator Hearings on motions to restrict parenting time and parental abduction prevention Even though the justice system might be more challenging to navigate than usual, an experienced Aurora family law lawyer from our firm is still available to assist you in these matters. Don’t let the court closure keep you from filing the emergency orders you need. Procedures for Getting an Order Rest assured, when the courts are closed, there is always an on-call judge to attend to emergencies. This is true during the COVID-19 closures and also during weekends or holidays. The procedures for getting an order might vary by court and the type of order you need. It is best to contact an Aurora family law lawyer or call the court directly to find out how they are handling emergency matters.  Keep in mind that some courts are experiencing high volumes of calls. It can be quicker and more convenient to reach out to your attorney first as they will be familiar with the current procedures of the court while they are closed. You may need to mail documents to the court or complete or sign some paperwork, or your attorney might be able to assist you in completing them electronically. You may also need to speak with the judge by phone. If you need an emergency temporary restraining order, you can also go to your local police department.  Need an Emergency Order? Call an Experienced Aurora Family Law Lawyer Family and relationship matters are inherently quite stressful. Experiencing them and needing help while the courts are closed only compounds this stress. With the help of an experienced Aurora family law lawyer, you can still get the legal help and court orders you need to protect yourself and your family.  Schedule your consultation today by calling the CNL Law Firm, PLLC at (720) 370-2171, or completing our online contact form. We are here for you 24/7. 

Child Custody, Family Law

Sharing Custody During the COVID-19 Lockdown

Like the rest of the country, Colorado’s COVID-19 cases continue to increase as well as the number of hospitalizations. The governor’s mandate for Colorado citizens to stay at home has people asking many questions, including how the custody of children between two parents should be handled. Are you allowed to leave your home to exchange the children? Should the children only stay with one parent during the lockdown? By working with a knowledgeable Aurora child custody lawyer, you can get answers to your pressing questions.   Are Child Exchanges an Exception? While the stay-at-home order is a law and requires most people to stay in their homes, it does make a few exceptions. One of these exceptions is travel required by law enforcement or court order. If you and your child’s other parent have a legally binding order or agreement about the custody of your children, this exception applies to you. You are allowed to leave your home to exchange your child with their other parent. Additionally, most courts have advised parents to continue to be compliant with their current custody plan. You can check with your Aurora child custody lawyer to determine if this applies to your jurisdiction. Protecting Your Children If you believe that sending your children to their other parent’s home would put them at risk for COVID-19, first discuss the situation with them. If you are not able to agree about how your concerns should be handled, get your children’s physician to weigh in on the issue. Having the opinion of a medical professional on your side should you decide to go against your agreement or have the agreement changed is often helpful. You should also speak to an experienced Aurora child custody lawyer to determine what steps you should take next. Each parent should be following CDC recommendations and be honest about the risks of COVID-19 exposure. Co-Parenting is Key Everyone is under extra stress during this pandemic, including your children. Now more than ever, it is imperative that you do everything you can do to maintain peace and be flexible with your children’s other parent. This will protect your family’s physical and mental health. You may want to update your parenting plan at this time since children are out of school and not participating in extracurricular activities. If you or your child’s other parent is working from home, you might be able to come up with a schedule that suits both of your needs to get work done.  Get Help from an Experienced Aurora Child Custody Lawyer  It is a time of uncertainty and frustration for many Coloradoans, even more so for parents who are sharing custody of children. When you call an Aurora child custody lawyer, they can help you make sense of the current stay-at-home order and how it impacts your custody agreement. They can also help you negotiate your custody agreement. Schedule your consultation today by calling the CNL Law Firm, PLLC at (720) 370-2171, or completing our online contact form. We are here for you 24/7.

Scroll to Top