Free Consultation

(720) 370-2171

8:30 AM - 5:00 PM

Recent News

focuses on helping families regain peace of mind
Schedule A Free consultation

It seems that nearly everything in life has come to a screeching halt amid concerns over COVID-19. Suddenly everything is closed, and services are limited. During this already stressful time, your family and relationship issues haven’t halted but instead have become more intense and urgent. The courts are closed, but you still need help. The good news is that a knowledgeable Aurora family law lawyer can still help you get the emergency order you need.

Colorado Courts Closed with Some Exceptions

As per an order signed by Colorado’s Supreme Court Chief Justice Colorado and another issued by the Chief United States District Judge, family courts are currently closed to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus. However, the courts are still responsible for protecting the fundamental constitutional rights of citizens and addressing matters of safety and well-being during the closure. As such, there are a select few family matters that the courts can still address during this time, including:

  • Petitions for temporary civil protection orders and permanent protection order hearings
  • Petitions for temporary emergency risk protection orders and hearings on emergency risk protection orders
  • Petitions for the appointment of an emergency guardian and/or special conservator
  • Hearings on motions to restrict parenting time and parental abduction prevention

Even though the justice system might be more challenging to navigate than usual, an experienced Aurora family law lawyer from our firm is still available to assist you in these matters. Don’t let the court closure keep you from filing the emergency orders you need.

Procedures for Getting an Order

Rest assured, when the courts are closed, there is always an on-call judge to attend to emergencies. This is true during the COVID-19 closures and also during weekends or holidays. The procedures for getting an order might vary by court and the type of order you need. It is best to contact an Aurora family law lawyer or call the court directly to find out how they are handling emergency matters. 

Keep in mind that some courts are experiencing high volumes of calls. It can be quicker and more convenient to reach out to your attorney first as they will be familiar with the current procedures of the court while they are closed. You may need to mail documents to the court or complete or sign some paperwork, or your attorney might be able to assist you in completing them electronically. You may also need to speak with the judge by phone. If you need an emergency temporary restraining order, you can also go to your local police department. 

Need an Emergency Order? Call an Experienced Aurora Family Law Lawyer

Family and relationship matters are inherently quite stressful. Experiencing them and needing help while the courts are closed only compounds this stress. With the help of an experienced Aurora family law lawyer, you can still get the legal help and court orders you need to protect yourself and your family. 

Schedule your consultation today by calling the CNL Law Firm, PLLC at (720) 370-2171, or completing our online contact form. We are here for you 24/7. 

Share here...

Related Articles

Focuses on

Helping Families