When Can You Reduce Spousal Support?

When Can You Reduce Spousal Support?

After your divorce is complete, there may be life circumstances that change your financial abilities. Thankfully, you have the right to request that the court reduce the amount of spousal support you pay in certain situations. An attorney can assist you with this task to ensure your rights are protected.

Divorce decrees are intended to be final, but, in some instances, family courts will allow either party to petition for a change in alimony, child support, or child custody. Courts understand that life circumstances can change, which can change each spouse and their children’s financial needs. If you are wondering if spousal support can be reduced after your divorce is final, an experienced Aurora post-decree modification lawyer can help.

Reasons the Court Might Reduce Spousal Support

You should only request that the court make a change to your spousal support if you have a valid reason to do so. Valid reasons include:

  • Changes in Colorado divorce laws—state laws regarding divorce and post-decree modifications can sometimes change
  • Cohabitation—alimony can often be reduced if the ex-spouse is living with another person with whom they are intimately involved with. 
  • Decreased need for support—If the receiving spouse has changes in their circumstances that reduce their need for support, the paying spouse can request that the support be modified or even terminated. Examples of this situation include if the receiving spouse gets a job that pays a higher salary, receives a wage increase, or remarries.
  • Disability— If the paying spouse becomes disabled, the court could grant a change in spousal support.
  • Financial emergencies—Spouses who pay alimony and experience a financial emergency such as the loss of a job, significant medical expenses, or another type of financial emergency have a right to request a change.
  • New support obligations—If the spouse paying support remarries and has a child, the current amount of spousal support could create a financial hardship. Family courts will consider reducing spousal support under these circumstances.

If you are unsure that your reason for changing spousal support will be acceptable to a family court judge, meet with an Aurora post-decree modification attorney for further guidance.

Can Ex-Spouses Agree to Reduce Alimony Payments?

Sometimes former spouses can come to an agreement on their own to reduce spousal support. They are not required to get court approval to do this. However, in order to be enforceable, it needs to be signed by a judge. If new alimony conditions are agreed upon by each ex-spouse but not approved by the court, one spouse could not abide by the agreement, and the other spouse wouldn’t have any recourse. An Aurora post-decree modification lawyer can assist you with making a mutual agreement and having it signed by a judge.

Get Help from a Knowledgeable Aurora Post-Decree Modification Lawyer Today

At CNL Law Firm, PLLC, we know that matters concerning divorce and spousal support can be confusing and emotionally overwhelming. We are here to help you make sense of what is going on and to protect your interests. If you have questions about spousal support or divorce decree modifications, call (720) 370-2171 or complete our online form. We offer no-obligation legal consultations with a knowledgeable Aurora post-decree modification attorney.

Table of Contents

Scroll to Top